Study Permits

Two Asian students studying together at university

Our lawyers provide legal advice and support to people who want to study in Canada. Whether you are applying for a Study Permit for the first time, would like to extend or change your existing permission, or you encounter an issue with your eligibility, we offer a range of services geared towards students.


What is a Study Permit?

If you are a foreign student looking to engage in education in Canada you must first obtain a Study Permit. A study permit is a written authorization that allows foreign nationals to study in Canada.


Most foreign nationals must apply for a study permit before travelling to Canada – although there are a few exceptions – and make sure they have all the documents needed before you apply.


Study permit holders must follow certain rules and conditions, including:

  • Enroll at a designated learning institute (DLI)
  • make progress towards completing your program
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
  • leave Canada when your permit expires


Study permits vary case-by-case and they may come with certain restrictions, such as:

  • the level of studies you can attend
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada
  • if you can’t travel within Canada
  • the date you must stop studying


Applying for an extension

A study permit is normally valid for the entire length of your study program, plus an extra 90 days. This is to allow you to prepare to leave Canada, apply to extend your stay or travel.

If you are unable to finish your courses before the date on your permit, you must apply to extend your stay as a student. You may also wish to take further studies here.

Whatever you decide to do, our lawyers can help you apply for an extension.


Study permit exemptions

Although most people need a permit to study in Canada there are certain exceptions, such as anyone on a course for six months or less, family of foreign representatives, members of foreign armed forces, registered Indians and young children.

Even if you qualify for an exemption, you might still want a study permit. This is because anyone with a study permit before coming to Canada has implied status and can renew it and wait for it while studying.  Also, if you don’t have a study permit, you can apply for a study permit while Canada, but you can’t start your program until you get the permit.

If you qualify for an exception but you would still like a study permit, we can write you a letter of explanation that states why you are seeking a study permit.


Work permits

Depending on your study permit, you may or may not be eligible to work while you are studying in Canada and after you graduate. You may require a permit to work either on or off campus and some courses may require you to complete an internship, in which case you will need a permit. We have experience of helping clients obtain the work permit they need for the duration of their time spent studying in Canada.


Dual Intent

Many of our clients want to come to Canada to study as well as make the move more permanent. In these cases they may wish to obtain a study permit while applying to become a permanent resident (PR). You may want to sign up for a dual intent doctrine.

In order to state your desire to study and become a resident, our lawyers can help you through this challenging  process to make sure your application is as strong as possible.