Spouse/Common-law Sponsorships


Spouses/Common-law partners have a set of requirements that they must meet, to be eligible for sponsorship:

  • Must be at least 18 years of age
  • A sponsor and spouse/common-law partner must be able to prove that their relationship is genuine and legitimate
  • A common-law partner is required to live with their sponsor in Canada for a minimum of 1 year after moving to Canada

Spouses must be able to provide a legal marriage certificate from the province or territory in which they got married. Spouses who were married outside of Canada will be required to provide a marriage certificate that holds proof that this marriage is considered legal in the country in which they got married. It must also be proved legal in Canada.

Common-law partners must have lived together in a conjugal relationship for a minimum of one year before they are able to be sponsored. Common-law partners will be required to provide proof of their living together for a minimum of one year. This can be proved through forms such as financial records, utility bills, and joint bank accounts.

It is important to note that as a sponsor, you have obligations. Agreeing to become a sponsor requires that you sign an undertaking, promising to provide financial support and basic needs to your spouse/common-law partner, and any dependent children. This undertaking is a promise, stating your responsibility to support your family members no matter what. The undertaking will not be cancelled, even if:

  • The individual you have sponsored becomes a Canadian citizen
  • Divorce, separation, or a deterioration of the relationship between you and your spouse/ common-law partner
  • You or the individual you have sponsored moves to an alternate country
  • You go through significant financial issues